Time & Location
About The Event
In support of Dying Matters Awareness Week 2019, H. Porter & Sons has teamed up with a range of local organisations to stage a very special event in Stourbridge aimed at encouraging positive and interesting conversations about death and dying.
Taking place at our funeral directors premises in South Road on Tuesday 14th May, from 9am to midday, “Dying Natters” is a fantastic opportunity to talk to professionals and indulge in some fun crafts in a relaxed environment. We promise there’ll be no suits or selling at this informative event, but we do guarantee endless tea and coffee and extremely delicious cake.
* Write your thoughts, add a drawing, attach a photo or add your fingerprints to our full-size cardboard coffin - children are welcome to get involved in this too - you can even add some embellishments, including glitter!
* Explore our new and vintage funeral vehicle fleet.
* Talk to members of Dying Matters Dudley - Dying Matters Dudley exists to encourage and enable our community to speak openly about death, dying and bereavement.
* Our amazing Dying Matters Dudley partner Mary Stevens Hospice will be on hand with all kinds of useful information.
* Get advice on will-writing from the experts at Wall James Chappell Solicitors
* Record your thoughts and feelings about life and death in the ‘diary rooms camper van’ from 9am-11am.
* Indulge in complimentary tea and cake from our wonderful caterer Emma Baker. Cold drinks, drinks for children and biscuits will also be available
* See some amazing modern coffins - from those with modern designs, to those with up-to-date eco credentials - and talk to our eco coffin supplier from LifeArt.
* Call the Soul Midwife…Converse with Racheal Field. Soul Midwives are non-medical, holistic companions who guide and support the dying in order to facilitate a gentle and tranquil death.
* Collect a free Dying Wishes information pack to take away and fill in at home, to help you and your family make informed funeral decisions
* Decoupage or paint a miniature coffin - a great fun activity for young and old alike - you could even create a miniature version of what you’d like for your own coffin one day.
* Learn about My Farewell Note, an app which allows you to prepare personal messages for your loved ones that will only be read after your death.
* Browse the books on our bookstall, including ‘With the End in Mind’ by Katherine Mannix, ‘Book of Funeral Poems’, ‘The Guide to a Dead brilliant Funeral speech’, ‘First steps through Bereavement’, ‘Death and how to survive it’ and many more, including titles dedicated to helping children through death and dying. Books are available to order on the day and will be delivered to you. Please pre-order if you would like a particular book, or come to view our books before the event.
* Talk to H. Porter & Sons, the longest-established family funeral directors in the area, about pre-paid funeral plans, recording your wishes in advance, and anything else funeral-related, such as memorials, charitable donations, flowers, bespoke funeral transport (yes, it’s possible to make your final journey by motorbike, VW camper or truck!)
* Get that funeral myth busted and your funeral questions answered by our funeral directors and their team.